The Flying Twenty was originally formed in San Jose in 1936 with a membership of five groups of 20 enthusiastic flyers.The students were enrolled in SJSU's US Civilian Pilot Training Program which had 5 aircraft and 100 students and flew out of Moffett field as the "State College Flying Club".
After WW2, they remained as one of several Flying Clubs here at SJSU, and it is the only one that continues to this day. The Flying Twenty has been operating since then with the intent of promoting flying and aviation safety while keeping costs to a minimum.
The Flying Twenty has traditionally provided some of the least expensive aircraft in the Bay Area. The non-profit club was incorporated under the laws of the State of California in 1949. It is operated by a board of directors elected by the membership each year. A paid accountant handles all monthly billing. The club aircraft and hangar are located at the Reid-Hillview Airport (RHV) in San Jose, Ca.